Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Overall Summary

This blog assignment has really opened my eyes to the many roles, both positive and negative, that the media has in my life. Social media has been so useful for me; it helps me stay on top of my sorority events, allows me to connect with new friends, classmates, and friends far away at other schools, and keeps me updated with daily news regarding topics such as politics, religions, important breakthroughs, and even something as simple as celebrity gossip. Some social media sites also provide me with a form of relaxation. Whenever I need a break from homework, I'll scroll through Pinterest or Instagram and enjoy myself as I look through fun and exciting pictures. It also allows for quick communication. I am easily able to get connected with others through texting, Facebook messaging, a phone call, or an email; this form of communication is extremely convenient and allows me to stay connected constantly with friends and family.

As stated above, there are many benefits of social media in my life; however, there are also a number of drawbacks that accompany those benefits. Because we have such easy access to social media and communication on our phones and computers, we often get very distracted and entranced by what's going on on our screens rather than what's happening in real life. Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, etc. have drawn me away from real-life conversations and have led me to sit in silence with my phone rather than enjoy others' company. I'd rather focus on real life and the relationships I have with close friends and family rather than scrolling through a celebrity's pictures on Instagram or being notified of an acquaintance's birthday on Facebook.

Many people, companies, schools, etc. benefit from the power of social media. It allows people to stay connected, companies to advertise their products, schools to promote admission and cheer on their sports teams, and it also unites people based on similar interests or experiences. We are a technologically-advanced nation and it's important to keep up with this growth; however, it is also important to live in the moment and in real-life rather than focusing on the screens of our phones, TVs, and computers all day. I have learned through this blog assignment that the best way to approach social media is through a balance. I can use social media for communication between friends, family, sorority sisters, etc. and for relaxing as I scroll through Pinterest and Instagram, but I don't want social media to consume my life. I want to learn to put my phone away when I'm engaged in a conversation or simply sitting around with friends. It's okay to indulge in social media every so often, but I have learned that I need to avoid letting it consume my time and my interest. I want to enjoy the world around me and live in real life and in the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment