Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sunday - April 3, 2016

On Sunday morning, my sister, her roommate, and my roommate all went to Arsaga's for lunch. As usual, the wait was very long - forty-five minutes to an hour. After putting our names on the list, I immediately asked the host what the wifi password was. Since we were going to be waiting for quite a while, I knew that I was going to be scrolling through the internet or through social media apps on my phone and I didn't want to use up a lot of data. I gave the password to my sister and friends and before we knew it, we were all on our phones, more interested in them than with each other. I looked around at all of us, and it made me a little sad that we were so entranced by what we were looking at on Instagram and Facebook rather than having a real-life conversation with each other. Once we all checked Instagram, Facebook, and Snapchat, we finally put our phones down and started talking to each other like we should have done in the first place. Once we finally let go of our social media distractions, we had a fun lunch with nonstop conversation, and it was a good time for everyone.

Later in the afternoon, my roommate and I went back to our dorm and tried to get some homework done which took quite a while. I let myself get distracted by my phone once again, checking my usual social media sites instead of focusing and getting work done. After a few unsuccessful attempts, I finally put my phone down and got to work. I continued to get distracted, however, due to my screen lighting up from Snapchats from friends and from my little sister. Instead of turning my phone over like I should have, I often picked it up and responded to the Snapchats rather than staying focused on my assignments. That day, in particular, made me realize the more negative and distracting aspects of social media. If I would put my phone away and refrain from checking Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook so often, I would be more involved in fun, real-life conversation and I would stay focused and be much more productive with schoolwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment